"I want my money back!" South Dakota Tourist Trap Tip by caffeine_induced78

South Dakota Tourist Traps: 18 reviews and 10 photos

"How much is the fee?" I asked the booth attendant. From this point I had not even glimpsed the not-yet-completed Crazy Horse monument.
"Eight dollars," He said. This was a whole dollar more than Rushmore and the thing wasn't even done yet!
"Part of this better be going towards dynamite," I replied acidicly as I handed him my hard earned cash.
After I parked my car and proceeded to the museum which also housed the man who was building this thing my anger only grew. The longer I was here the more angry I became at what I saw. The sculpture was being blasted out of the side of a mountain but all of the detail work was being done on the other side of the mountain. I could pay another 10 dollars for the bus tour to see anything good - but I didn't. Oh yeah - the museum. The museum was huge. The living quarters also was huge. The Sculpture has been a work in progress for 30 some years and the guy has a HUGE house. I'm thinking the guy is milking this little project. Then I have to watch a bunch of people oogle over drawings by Native Americans found in any run-of-the-mill County historical museum on the plains. I'm a quarter Native American so if this guy is feeding off of the white American guilt complex than I want my piece of the pie, or at least my money back.

Unique Suggestions: Get your picture taken with a real Biker! After the Sturgis Motorcycle rally in Early August they are all over the place.

Fun Alternatives: Rushmore - see Mount Rushmore. Also save your money and do some hiking in the Black Hills instead.

• Updated Feb 14, 2003

Have you been to South Dakota?