"sharing the Inca Trail" Top 5 Page for this destination Sharing Tip by richiecdisc

Sharing, Machu Picchu: 5 reviews and 5 photos

a picturesque bridge in lush forest
by richiecdisc

Fondest memory: Over the next three days, we would hear the phrase repeatedly when any of the offending group would offer something from their stash of goodies. Though food was included on the five day guided trek, it was explained to us that it was just the basic meals and we would have to bring snacks to get us through the long days of hiking. Of course, weight was a factor and you couldn?t just bring as much as you wanted or you would be stuck carrying it. For me, a bottle of wine was not a high priority item, especially when you consider weight and the fact that the empty bottle should be carried out. I would be willing to wager that bottle still sits behind that first night?s camp. I would have loved to explain this to them, and finish with a snide remark, like ?this is what we call backpacking,? but contrary to popular opinion, Americans are not as forceful with their views as people think or as another nationality who shall remain nameless here. At any rate, I held my tongue for three days and I was not the only one that felt this way. The funniest incident was when a couple from their group explained to me that they had met some Americans that wouldn?t share some candy with them one day, even though they were having energy store problems. I have to add that I hike with a cap I was given from Australian Frisbee players that perhaps gives me an appearance of being an Aussie. I have to assume they confided in me on this point, thinking I was from Down Under and not the USA. I nonchalantly tried to explain that people generally bring just enough for the trip, not wanting to carry too much. I for one brought five chocolate bars. I crave chocolate when I hike and that is what I bring for myself. I don?t need someone else?s potato chips or particularly wine or beer on a hike. I don?t think a person should expect someone to give them chocolate just because they are ill-prepared. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

• Written Feb 25, 2003

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Machu Picchu?