Burg Schwalenberg: "Forget the hotel, stay in a castle!" Schieder-Schwalenberg Hotel Tip by goingplaces

Schieder-Schwalenberg Hotels: 2 reviews and 2 photos

A member of our group wanted his birthday to be spent somewhere special, so I found this great place to stay! I stumbled on it quite by accident, but I'm glad I did. The castle Schwalenberg was founded, along with the town, towards the beginning of the 13th century by Count Volkwin III and has been managed by the Saul-Feuchter family since 1971. It sits high upon the mountain, looking over the quaint town like a guardian. We were there in the not-quite-springtime. The trees were still bare and there was quite a cover of brown leaves on the ground. It was chilly and overcast, the perfect weather for exploring a castle.

Unique Qualities: Along with the castle itself, the grounds contain a small zoo (birds, goats, burrows) and several walking trails, and the owners don't mind if you go out exploring. I'm glad we did...we found an old cemetery...I'm talking, quite old. The neat thing is, all the headstones were printed in Hebrew.

Address: D-4938 Scheider-Schwalenberg 2
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Drive up. I mean, come on, it's a castle. It's at the highest point in the city...but don't worry, there are signs. : )
Phone: From within Germany, 05284-5167
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://I booked thru www.germany-castles.net

• Written Feb 6, 2003

Comments

goingplaces

“Letting life get in the way of travel....”

Have you been to Schieder-Schwalenberg?