"Parking Rules" Driving & Parking Tip by virtualpatrick
Driving & Parking, New York City: 10 reviews and 15 photos
I saw these tips on what you can/can not do for parking in NYC (source: Fox 5 News NYC)
1. NYC does not paint curbs with yellow lines. Typically restaurants & residential complexes paint these lines to prevent people from parking. You should be able to park by yellow curbs and should not receive a ticket IF there are no "NO PARKING" signs for the area you are parking.
2. Only one side of a sign needs to say "No Parking" - even if you can not read it from the street side (rather than from the sidewalk). Signs are usually valid for the WHOLE block.
So if there is a 2-sided "No Parking" sign and the side facing the street is washed out or someone put a sticker on it, you could get a ticket if you park there.
3. Owners of residences can apply to the town's Office of Supervisor to get a "No Parking" sign approval to put in front of their property.
4. Restaurants CAN NOT put red cones in front of their entrances to prevent the public from parking.
5. You can park at a broken parking meter only for 1 hour; after that you are eligible to get a ticket. Problem is how do you prove you have only parked there an hour!
More Local Customs in New York City (1)
More Reviews (51)
- See All "New" Chinatown in NYC
- See All PrePaid, No-Contract Phones
- See All US Open 2005 - Scoville Jenkins (2)
virtualpatrick's Related Pages
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels