de Roode Leeuw: "Good DUTCH food" Restaurant De Rode Leeuw Tip by davequ

Restaurant De Rode Leeuw, Amsterdam: 6 reviews and 8 photos

de Roode Leeuw is heerlijk.
by davequ

de Roode Leeuw is heerlijk.
      my favorite waiter
    by davequ
      Kapucijners-marrowfat met alles erop en eraan
    by davequ

Restaurant de Roode Leeuw is a good Dutch restaurant, serving the very underated "Dutch" cuisine out of the Hotel Amsterdam (now the Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw) on Damrak, just a couple of blocks from the Dam Square.

Most people I know don't think about Dutch food when they talk European cuisine, but I will from now on. This food is delicious,..... and from a hotel, no less!

The dining room and terrace have been "renovated" but thankfully it retains the same feel and ambience - here are some pictures of the dining room - click on it to make if full-screen.

So what's Dutch cuisine?
One type is referred to as "Neerlands Dis": traditional Dutch dishes prepared with Dutch dairy, meat and vegetables.

Favorite Dish: Have eaten here three times: had -

Steamed mussels were excellent ( I don't see them on the current MENU - ask for them);
soups and bisques superb, and the lamsfilet was fabulous.
Great herring appetizers. Killer pea soup w/ham or sausage (best I've ever had).
Marrowfat peas Kapucijners “met alles erop en eraan”…(sounds awful, tastes great)
Again, here's the spartan menu they post online, but I suspect they still serve the dishes I mentioned previously (if not, they are crazy).

For the excellent service cuisine, prices were reasonable (great meal w/wine & drinks/dessert/espresso for approx. 30-40 EU max). A great "splurge" dinner in a great location.
They also have a BRASSERIE with windowed terrace seating for claustrophobics.

The website (like the hotel & restaurant) has been "updated" so I had to go find some pix here

De Roode Leeuw re-opened its doors after a full renovation on March 14th, 2006

(The nice, witty, older fellow in my pic, who was my waiter is now ill and doesn't work there, and they removed his picture... (shame on you)... get well mijn broer...).
He was one of the best waiters I have ever had the pleasure to know. If there is a restaurant in heaven (and if I can con / lie my way in) he will be there, proud, warm, professional, and friendly. Meneer, hold a seat for me, A.U.B.

Due to the current drubbing the dollar is taking from the euro I've changed the price-per-person to "$41 and up" while leaving "comparative price" to "about average."

I honestly hope you get a chance to try this place. I'm picky, and I went back, and enjoyed it very much every time. Please also see John Gayton's tip on it in his Amsterdam pages.

Enjoy. x

Address: Damrak 93-94 1012 LP Amsterdam
Comparison: about average
Directions: Walk a couple blocks (north toward Centraal station) up Damrak from the Dam square. It's in Hotel Amsterdam on your LEFT.
othercontact: e-mail: info@hotelamsterdam.nl
Phone: 31 20 555 06 66
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.restaurantderoodeleeuw.nl

• Updated Apr 27, 2010

Comments

davequ

“♫♫ ... "What this world needs is a good $2 room and a good $2 broom" ... ♫♫ © Don Van Vliet”

Have you been to Amsterdam?