"a huge bull" Caraz Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

Caraz General: 7 reviews and 7 photos

half way up
by richiecdisc

Fondest memory: It would have been all too easy to spend the night in this paradise but I knew if we did, we would most likely abort our plan of going to Alpamayo base camp. We certainly had enough food to go the next day, but the weather was good and we would be even more tired then so we begrudgingly made our way.

It was a very steep initial climb up to the next plateau as we left the friendly meadow below and doubt over my sanity crept into my mind once again. But then the flowing mane of a magnificent wild horse caught my eye and evidently her eyes mine. At once the small herd headed up the trail with us less gracefully in pursuit. Surprisingly we did catch up as they rested just off the trail, evidently wanting to go down and willing to wait for us to lose interest. There was a near mythical solid white one and a chestnut mare with a jagged crop of hair jutting down over one eye as if a fashion. Though hard to leave their magical presence, there was still more climbing to do and we bid adieu to one of those rare moments that make backpacking worth all the hard work.

Soon enough we found ourselves on a flat stretch of land with jagged snowy peaks in the distance and a crop of forest I mistakenly took for the next campground just before them. The weather had taken a turn for the worse but there was no denying the spectacular terrain before us as we now marched onto our destination. Of course, this perceived end was merely the break before the next heartbreaking steep ascent. As we climbed ever higher, we looked for places to bed down for the night, not even caring if we found the ?real? campground at this point. One place had too many rocks. Another wasn?t flat enough. We finally decided on one with a great old tree for protection and a man made stone wind break to cook behind. Perfection escaped it with its distance to both fresh water and the toilet facilities. (continued below in My Fondest Memory)

• Written Feb 25, 2003

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Caraz?