"message in a bottle...." Top 5 Page for this destination Huaraz Tourist Trap Tip by richiecdisc

Huaraz Tourist Traps: 3 reviews and 2 photos

enjoy but be careful at the market
by richiecdisc

Sometimes you read something and think it could never happen to you. I guess that sometimes you are wrong too. I was walking through the outdoor market in Huaraz one afternoon with Doreen just ahead of me so I could keep an eye on her and my day bag slung over one shoulder and firmly in the grips of my hand as my camera was within. I felt a warm wet liquid land on my neck and thought, “great, a bird crapped on me,” but kept walking just the same, figuring I could wipe it off when I got outside the moving crowd more easily. A kind old woman nudged me from behind and explained there was something on my neck, but I just smiled like I knew and kept moving. She persisted but I paid little attention to her and made my way out of the market area and finally checked just what it was that had landed on me. It was sticky and brown, and smelled sweet. I wiped it off best I could with my handkerchief but I would need to return to the hostel to properly clean it up. On the way back, I remembered I had read of a ploy where someone would squirt some caramel on a tourist who was carrying a day bag or backpack. They would then offer to help you clean it off as if they didn’t know where it came from. While you were busy doing the same, an accomplice would grab your belongings. I guess if my Spanish were better or the woman spoke English, I may have been distracted but as it was, I couldn’t be bothered to have a conversation about bird crap in a crowded marketplace. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss.

• Updated Jan 29, 2003

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Huaraz?