"Male Hooghan (HOME sweet HOME)" Top 5 Page for this destination Page Off The Beaten Path Tip by Grazina
Page Off The Beaten Path: 34 reviews and 64 photos
First, just to let you non-Navajos know, the Navajo (Dine') never lived in Tee-Pee, that's more the plains Indains. What you see here is a Conical forked-pole hogan (Male home).
Hooghan: this word literally translated as "Place home," combines the meanings of home and a sense of place. Often built of logs and earth covered, it provides a snug shelter against spring winds, summer heat, and winter cold. Sometime we get visitors and they want to know if they cover the smokehole when it rains. You let the rain come in. The dome represents the sky, and the floor is the earth. The earth shouldn't be covered up. it reminds you of who you are and where you came from. The hogan places you where you belong. You take your identity from it.
More Off The Beaten Path in Page (16)
More Reviews (70)
- See All Sounds super I think you will enjoy
- See All Come & tour an awesome canyon in...
- See All May of the Grand Circle
- See All Don't mention the word BOMB.
- See All The Making of a Park
- See All REZ ball is what we call it.
- See All Soar above Page/LakePowell
- See All Dress for the occasion.
- See All Butchering a yearly sheep
- See All All the Hotels, Motels, B&B, and...
- See All All you can eat for one price.
Been to Page?Share your travels with the world!
Grazina's Related Pages
Have you been to Page?Share Your Travels