"Visiting José and his family" Getting around Tip by b1bob

Getting around, Lisbon: 39 reviews and 73 photos

by b1bob

Fondest memory: The first time I went to Lisbon, I had to match wits with the study abroad programme coordinator in Madrid. Dr. Berroa said it wouldn't have been so bad to miss class on Friday, 6 July if I hadn't missed it on 2 and 3 July due to my late arrival in Madrid under circumstances I could not control (see my Madrid page for details). However, since my late arrival and missing those classes was beyond my control, I would be dipped if I would be punished by it. I pretended to give some thought to what Dr. Berroa said, and I did think about it for a couple of nanoseconds. However, I made up my mind almost straightaway to go ahead with my original plans regardless of the consequences. I got to Madrid on 3 July after class. I went to class on 4 and 5 July. On the afternoon of the 4th, my second day there, I made a dry run from the Universidad Complutense by the metro to Chamartín, timed it and figured I had plenty of time to make the 1.55 pm departure after classes let out at noon. When classes let out on Thursday, 5 July, I made a beeline for my dorm to grab my pre-packed carry-on and head for the train station to get on that Talgo train to Lisbon.

The ride down there was a long one (7 hours). On this trip, I met a whole bunch of interesting people. From Madrid through to San Vicente, I talked to a 15-year old boy José and his older sister Gema. (That's not too wide of an age difference, I was pushing 21 back then.) There was someone else (from Australia) who was working on travelling the world by backpack, something I could never do. On the last part of the train ride into Lisbon. There was this Brazilian guy who claimed to know me. It couldn't have been anyone other than Eduardo França, the exchange student from Campo Grande (Mato Grosso), Brazil. I arrived in Lisbon round about sunset. However, José wasn't there. Instead, José's Daddy and his younger sister Dulce were there. José was out with Joaquina and would meet us at the train station in Alhos Vedros.

• Updated Jan 22, 2003