""Window Shopping" - Along the dark alleys." Red Light District Tip by A2002

Red Light District, Amsterdam: 24 reviews and 17 photos

Lowly lit streets.
by A2002

Fondest memory: I will describe what I know about the "window shopping". I only went there once, and will not go there at night anymore.
I saw leaflets by the police regarding the safety and some information while at the red-light district. It seems to me there's a standard flat rate charged by the prostitutes for a job done. And there are regulations about their "career" and they pay taxes.
Along the streets, you can see many many windows with chairs or beds, with different types of lighting and decorations and of course a curtain, and even "Windows for rent".
I think it works like this: The woman will stand or dance or sit at the window in not much clothings, displaying their charm to those lonely men. When there's a man interested, she will open her usually locked doors and negotiate the rate. With an agreed rate, she allows the interested man in and close the curtain... Then after that, whatever you can imagine... I dunno... But after you see a man coming out from the door, seconds later, the window will be opened again for business...

• Written Jan 17, 2003

“Suffering can be overcome and happiness attained.”

Have you been to Amsterdam?