"....continued...." Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Off The Beaten Path Tip by daarth

Inverness Off The Beaten Path: 28 reviews and 56 photos

The skipper sailing the high waves
by daarth

In the mean time the skipper had turned on the engine as manoeuvring was becoming difficult in the high waves. Once again we turned around under full sail and good help from the engine. The boat crashed in the waves as we neared the cap again. It was becoming difficult to see it, and then only when it was at the top of the waves. The skipper suggested I crawl down on the bathing platform on the back of the boat to try to catch it with my hand. I did that, and hung on with one hand for dear life as I tried to reach out with the other hand. It was too far away. I grabbed hold of the boat hook and tried once more. The hook just pushed the cap and all hope was lost as I saw it sink downwards. I just stood on the platform dumbfounded as I looked at the spot where it disappeared. The waves were beating at me and I was wet from the waist down. In my mind I was trying to comprehend the fact that I would have to exist without that cap. In a flash I could see all the memories I had had in its company. My eyes were blurred, but that was because the waves were beating at me. I wiped my face with my free hand, and there it was. The cap had actually come up again. I cried out to the skipper and he saw it too about 30 meters behind the boat. Quickly he threw the engine in reverse and with the sails pulling one way and the engine the other, we came to a halt. He loosened the sails and we stated reversing. Now I had the waves full on and really had to hold on for dear life. Meter by meter we came closer. I was more under water than over, but suddenly there it was. I reached out and caught it. The cap was saved. The lucky cap.

• Written Feb 25, 2003

More Off The Beaten Path in Inverness (1)

“In search of the single malt”

Have you been to Inverness?