"Begin Your Journey Here." Merdeka Square Tip by d_Nasution

Merdeka Square, Kuala Lumpur: 80 reviews and 141 photos

Begin your journey at Merdeka Square. It was at the Padang Kelab Selangor (Royal Selangor Club) that Merdeka (independence) was proclaimed at midnight August 1957. At its southern end stands the tallest flagpole in the world, proud of the nation.

Beneath the square is Plaza putra which contains a theatre (The Actor's Studio and a cinema), food court, restaurants and souvenir shop. Also alocate the Tourist Info Centre. Check out what are the latest activities around town and get all the information about Malaysia here. Sign the guestbook to mark that you are now in Kuala Lumpur. How cool ya!

Next destination, to the Historical Museum and around the area, just opposite the Square.

If you guys still remember, this is the place back in 1998 where Anwar Ibrahim's (former Deputy Prime Minister) supporters held their demonstration against Mahathir. At that time, I was in the college and still remember how me and my friends got trapped together with them and been waterbomb by the police. Lucky us we showed them our student tag and they escort us to the backlane of the High Court. Pheww!!

Address: Merdeka Square and its surrounding
Directions: located in front of the Sultan Abdul Samad Building
Phone: +603 2693 7905
Website: http://kuala-lumpur.attractionsinmalaysia.com/Merdeka-Square.php

• Written Jan 7, 2003

Comments

d_Nasution

“Show me the world!!”

Have you been to Kuala Lumpur?