"Don't go for a package plan! ..." Orlando Tourist Trap Tip by DoctorDon

Orlando Tourist Traps: 66 reviews and 22 photos

Don't go for a package plan! Why does Disney push them so much? Because they make money from them -- lots of it! In most cases, you can save considerable $$ by doing it all yourself, and the other benefits you probably wouldn't have time for anyway. If you're paying to go into the parks (and you are), you don't have time to take advantage of tee times or a sit-down breakfast every day.

Also, with a package plan, you have to pay for your whole trip (except souvenirs & such) BEFORE you go -- 100% paid 60 days before you leave. Instead, I book the room on my credit card, pay off the deposit (in increments, if need be) before I go, then put that and all other expenditures (charged to the room) on the card (I often use my Disney card to do so) and pay it off afterwards. Even the bill is paid automatically, slipped under your door the night before you leave, so when they say the package is more 'convenient,' what are they talking about?

The only way I can imagine doing a package trip is if I: 1) had never been there before and was going into the whole thing blind (but you're not doing that; you're already doing the detective work by visiting here) or 2) had the money to blow to let somebody else take care of the details. Do your homework and save some money.

• Written Aug 24, 2002

More Tourist Traps in Orlando (1)

“1. Travel is Legalized Adventure; 2. Are We There Yet?”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Orlando?