VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"The tube" Tube (Underground, Subway, Metro). Tip by eviltooth

Tube (Underground, Subway, Metro)., London: 422 reviews and 435 photos

Charing Cross
by eviltooth

Most parts of the London Underground are filled with rubbish and filth, sometimes with a wisp of urine in the air.

There're no garbage bins anywhere because of fear of them being used to place bombs. When I was there, there was a bomb scare and the underground service was cancelled. I'd to get to Victoria station to catch a couch to Bath, time was running out and I didn't know what to do. A South African who'd been living in London for a few months saw my desperation and was kind enough to take me there by bus. I was so touched.

To survive in the London underground, you gotta know how to push around. Don't expect anyone to be polite. I was shocked the first time I experienced the Tube, I'd been squashed like a sardine in the can, and a gorilla-like woman tried to push me off so she could get in. I stopped complaining about Melbourne's public transport.

This place is also home for the homeless. There was a mother, her toddler and baby, begging, somewhere between Bank and Monument stations. I passed by them every morning when I was going to Guy's Hospital. They never fail to make me give up my breakfast, nothing much, just a samosa and a bottle of milk bought from the station shop, speaking of which, I kinda miss the samosa.

The Charing Cross station was the cleanest station I've been to. Love the murals on the wall.

Mode: AROUND
Phone: (020) 72221234
Type: Subway/Metro
Website: http://www.londontransport.co.uk

• Updated Jun 29, 2003

More Transportation in London (1)

Comments

eviltooth

“I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!”

Have you been to London?