VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Saviour Fare: "Where I find that "lemonade" is Sprite" Le Bistro Savoir Faire Tip by grandmaR

Le Bistro Savoir Faire, London: 3 reviews and 2 photos

Bob at the table - his back to the street
by grandmaR

After we finished at the British Museum, I didn't want to eat an the restaurants right next to the museum, so we wandered over to New Oxford Street, and went to Savoire Faire

Favorite Dish: I had croque monsieur, and Bob had a steak sandwich. I found at this time that to the English, lemonade means Sprite. This was one difference between American English and English English that I had a hard time accepting. It seemed really perverse to me to call something lemonade that wasn't. It wasn't even as though the English didn't HAVE lemonade.

Later I discovered that I could get a non-carbonated, non-caffine non-bottled-water something to drink by asking for squash which is a sweetened juice concentrate. And sometimes a bartender would give me canned pineapple or some other type juice - a very small can, but regular juice.

The lunch was £13.20 (which turned up on my credit card as $20.99).

Address: New Oxford Street
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Near the British Musuem in Bloomsbury
Phone: +44 20 7436 0707
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 2
Theme: French
Website: http://www.savoir.co.uk/

• Updated Oct 23, 2004

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to London?