"Dragon of the Castle" Krakow Local Custom Tip by Pawtuxet

• Dragon of the Castle - Krakow
      Joanna and my daughter, Susan
      our local guide
    by Pawtuxet

There is a legend about a dragon at Wawel Castle. The story is told in children's books and there are replicas of the dragon throughout the castle grounds. Pictured here (from a post card) is the detailing of a rain gutter at the roof line. Rain water travels along the gutter,then thru the mouth of the dragon. On the day we arrived the dragons were very busy carrying torrential rain from the roof of the castle to the floor of the courtyard.
Dragons are a theme we see throughout Krakow.

Joanna (here with my daughter in yellow jacket) was another pen pal I wrote to in advance of visiting Poland. She hooked up with us in Krakow, where she lives and works. She was a fun guide and very enthusiastic about her "town".

We depended on my pen pal Gosia, from Warsaw, to fill us in on every nuance of Polish society along the way. Here we see the classic Gosia pointing out another pearl of knowledge from her vast collection of information...cigarette in hand, ALWAYS. We loved this woman. What a treasure she has been for us.

I would have to say that the LOCAL CUSTOM that stands out to me the most in Poland is the people and their tireless enthusiasm to help you. I find them very "giving" people.

• Updated Jul 7, 2009

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2013 at 6:51 AM

I agree totally. I was surprised by their warmth and eagerness to tell you about their lives, their pleasures, their hopes, their history

“The World As A Family ~”

Have you been to Krakow?