"Barker Reservoir - Part II" Barker Reservoir Tip by WFTR

Barker Reservoir, Houston: 6 reviews and 0 photos

My favorite activity in the reservoir was walking and bird watching. One access area is on the west side of Hwy 6 where Briar Forest Road intersects Hwy 6. The gravel road leading over the dam and into the reservoir was a nice place to walk when the puddles weren't too big. I saw numerous bird species in the reservoir in this area. Typical sightings included cardinals, myrtle warblers, black phoebe, kestrel, harrier, and a couple of sparrow species. There is a little lake/big pond in this area, and I once saw a flock of about eight avocets in the lake. Egrets and herons are often in this area as well. My personal homepage has a photo of a rose-breasted grosbeak taken in this area.

I've seen some other critters in this area as well. I was once fairly far back in the woods and heard a rustling in the undergrowth. I watched and waited, and an armadillo eventually came out onto the overgrown road on which I was walking. I've seen a big garter snake and once caught a small cottonmouth. I once saw a bobcat in the far south end of the reservoir. I suspect that they live in this area as well, but sighting one would be a rare treat.

The path along the top of the dam can be a fun place to walk also. While views of a city are never at the top of my list, the dam is high enough to give a few okay views of Houston. Of more interest to me are several swallow species that I've seen on the dam and feeding along a creek just below the dam. The creek also has the usual water birds like egrets and killdeer.

Address: West Side Of Houston
Directions: Between Houston and Katy

• Written Dec 9, 2002

Comments

WFTR

“Liberty isn`t for cowards”

Have you been to Houston?