"Stephansdom - the pulpit by Master Pilgram" Top 5 Page for this destination churches Tip by globetrott
churches, Vienna: 56 reviews and 174 photos
The pulpit in Stephansdom is a gothic masterpiece by Meister Pilgram (= Master Pilgram ) - and when you get close to the pulpit, you will see Master Pilgram looking out of a window at the foot of the pulpit - this sculpture is called "Der Fenstergucker"(see my picture). The 4 large sculptures around the pulpit show the "4 tempers", the 4 fathers of the church. Normally a pulpit is built in the forward-part of the church,next to the main altar, But this one is built the back of the cathedral. Take a closer look at the hand-rail of the gothic steps : several rats seem to crawl up there. It is a pity, my pics about it are not good enough to be shown here, because the use of flashlight is forbidden in the church of course !
More Off The Beaten Path in Vienna (45)
More Reviews (156)
- See All Weihnachtsmarkt im Türkenschanzpark
- See All Bade-Schiff - a pool inside a ship
- See All a traditional Wiener Kaffeehaus
- See All An Art Nouveau-jewel
- See All WESTBAHN: the cheapest train to Salzburg
- See All Beware of the SÜD-Bahnhof/OST-Bahnhof -...
- See All Palais Liechtenstein
- See All a perfect hotel
- See All Mozart-people all over the centre of...
- See All Silvester-Pfad - the festivities at new...
- See All a full day in Vienna
Been to Vienna?Share your travels with the world!
globetrott's Related Pages
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels