"Classical Weimar" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Things to Do Tip by Weissdorn
Germany Things to Do: 1,230 reviews and 2,010 photos
The true spirit of the German soul can be poetically reflected in the words of Goethe. Goethe was to Germany what Shakespeare was to England. Even though the rest of the world does not associate Germany with Romanticism. It was a shear stroke of luck that the enlightened ruler of the small Duchy of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach realised the good sense in setting up reforms for the emerging middle class, and granted new personal freedoms for culture and politics. This attracted a number of young intellectuals to Weimar, which all began with the poet Christoph Martin Wieland, who came to educate the Duke’s son, then was followed by Johann Wolfgang Goethe. Johann Gottfried Herder came later, and finally none other than the famous German poet Friedrich Schiller.
The UNESCO recognised the favourite and final resting place of Goethe and Schiller in 1998 as a sight worth seeing, because this place allows visitors an insight of how the most meaningfull and influential poets in German history lived and worked. The Weimar Complex is a shrine to German Culture, and allows visitors to see why the Germans think of themselves as “The Country of Poets and Philosophers”. No where else in Germany has so many parks, museums and castles to visit in one single area than Weimar - 26 in all! Amongst them, the homes of nobles, Goethe, Schiller and Listz.
The bargin for visiting Weimar is the Thuringia Card, which only costs 13 Euro, and allows you 24 hours of unlimited use of public transportation, and for most museums you can get in for free or at a 50% savings.
Address: Markt 10, D-99407 Weimar
Directions: Weimar lies about 20 km east of Erfurt on the A4 Autobahn.
othercontact: Fax: (0049-3643) 240040
Phone: (0049-3643 24000 or 19433
More Reviews (71)
- See All I Need A Place to Crash - But Not the...
- See All Oktoberfest in Munich
- See All Beware of Rumanian Begger Children
- See All Who said you can't drink the water?
- See All Fishing in Germany - Getting a License
- See All Computer & Electronic Stores
- See All Getting Around in the Greater Stuttgart...
- Lake Müritz
- Packing for Germany
- See All Camping in Germany
- See All Like Ice in the Sunshine, I'm Melting...
Been to Germany?Share your travels with the world!
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6866 Reviews - 15332 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4309 Reviews - 9910 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 950 Reviews - 2162 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1667 Reviews - 3684 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1607 Reviews - 3989 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1453 Reviews - 3460 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 612 Reviews - 1569 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 883 Reviews - 2997 Photos
- Karlsruhe Hotels
- 895 Reviews - 4115 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1065 Photos
- Koblenz Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Fussen Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 479 Photos
- Würzburg Hotels
- 353 Reviews - 1189 Photos
- Dresden Hotels
- 1205 Reviews - 3542 Photos