"Not a sheet of ice, but a desert of salt." Bolivia Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

Bolivia General: 99 reviews and 96 photos

Salt mines of Colchani
by richiecdisc

Favorite thing: Bolivia offers a multitude of hiking opportunities and lots of adventure travel options but the Salar de Uyuni is not to be missed. The easiest and cheapest way to visit this remote area are four-wheel drive tours run from the city of Uyuni itself.

Fondest memory: Bolivia seemed so incredibly cheap the first day we were there that I never thought to ask how much it was for the Internet. We had secured a room for $3 and just had a huge trout dinner in a fancy tourist restaurant for less than that price each. The Internet was never more than a dollar in Peru and I just assumed it would be even less here so we both went on for an hour with little thought. I was a little light on money as there were surprisingly no ATM's in Copacabana, which was our first Bolivian stop. Traveler's checks had proved of little use as large commissions were charged to exchange them and we had only emergency funds in cash so I had exchanged only a little and hoping for an ATM in La Paz. The day started out so inexpensively that it seemed $20 would last forever but the splurge meal had cut into it, and we had an early morning departure for Isla del Sol planned. When I went to pay for the Internet I was stunned when I was told I owed 60 bolivianos for the two of us. This was the equivalent of over $8 and though a typical price for an Internet cafe in Europe, it was highway robbery in South America. I forked over the money and walked out with about 2$ in my pocket to now empty nighttime streets devoid of money changers and still lacking an ATM to save the day. (continued below in MY Fondest Memory)

• Updated Nov 16, 2003

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Bolivia?