"Domestic Flights" Travelling by Air Tip by lachydragon

Travelling by Air, Pakistan: 17 reviews and 22 photos

Nanga Parbat (8th Highest Mountain in the world)
by lachydragon

I caught a PIA Northern Areas flight from Islamabad to Skardu in the Northern Areas. Although it was booked through my trekking company, I got quite an idea as to what the performance with booking Northern Areas flights is.

There is a separate booking office for Islamabad to Skardu/Gilgit flights since these are so weather dependent and are usually heavily booked. If you are heading into this area make sure that you allow plently of time to get out with your flight - you should at least have about 48 hours to spare, allowing a bus trip back to Islamabad in the case of cancelled flights. (I spent a nerve racking night in a tent on the trek considering the fact that if I missed the domestic flight home then 1 day for connections would stuff up all my return flights to Australia.)

I would however HIGHLY recommend a flight from Islamabad to Skardu ( you will need this if you are trekking but it would be a worthwhile trip for general travel too) There is stunning mountain scenery and you'll get a view of Nanga Parbat (world's 8th highest mountain), Rakaposhi, K2 (on a clear day) and Broad Peak. Check out my Skardu page for more details.

Type: Airplane
Website: http://www.piac.com.pk

• Updated Dec 17, 2002

“Happiness is a non-cancelled flight booking (see India: Transport tips for the story...)”

Have you been to Pakistan?