"Whale watching" State of Western Australia Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

State of Western Australia Things to Do: 392 reviews and 878 photos

Now, clap everyone
by iandsmith

Does this fall under the heading "Eco-tourism", "Family travel", "Safari" or "Fishing Trip"? I opted for adventure travel because that's what it was for me.
On the day I wrote, "On a clear spring day, with barely a wisp of cirrus cloud on high and the ocean's surface a sheen a master French Polisher would envy our boat caressed its way across the transparent waters of Monkeys Bay.
The tension of expectation was paramount on board, especially after our first fin was sighted. It was small and didn't vary in its profile above the surface. Clearly, this was something else. A 3 metre Hammerhead something else that dogged us for about four minutes before it cut across our stern and revealed its full shape in the the clear sunkissed waters of the ocean.
Then, off our starboard bow, the first flukes appeared, giving rise to a frustration of wanting to be there beside them but knowing they were still a few kilometres distant."
We did rendevous with them, at first with a mother and calf and then later with a threesome.
By law (how they could possibly enforce it is a mystery) you are required to stay 100 metres from the beasts. However, when you are stationary and they come to you, well, that's a different matter. As one went under the boat, I, for one, definitely got a bit excited.
Then one of them waved one of its side fins at us but, the best was yet to come.
Right before our bow this leviathon's head slowly rose and broke the surface, rising vertically before our wondrous gaze.
Everyone, in a spontaneous unforgettable moment, broke out in applause. That's the sort of effect it has on you.
The manouvre is called a spy hop, I prefer eyeball-to-eyeball and, as you've already gathered, I'm recommending it!

Address: Dunsborough
Directions: In the Margaret River area a few hours south of Perth.

• Written Feb 25, 2003

Comments

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to State of Western Australia?