"SWIM BETWEEN THE FLAGS. I am a..." Water safety. Tip by Shar

Water safety., Gold Coast: 13 reviews and 11 photos

SWIM BETWEEN THE FLAGS. I am a lifesaver (hence my love of Coolangatta beach) and I can tell you, even I swim in the flags. Our beaches are unpredictable. Sand is being dredged all the time and nature also digs holes in the shores for rips to grow in.

No one has ever drowned between the flags, though this season we saw about 20 tourists drown. They awent in on dusk, and early morning with a few drinks in them...bye bye tourists. Don't screw with nature - she wins every time.
The flags are placed in the safest spot at that moment, so often, just outside them is a rip or strong current.
No matter how good a swimmer you think you are...prove it somewhere else. Don't put a lifesavers life at risk to prove you have balls.

And if you are outside the flags they can't see you anyway. If you wanna gamble - go to the casino please. Yadda yadda....get the point?
PS. if you are taken by a rip (pulling you put to sea). Don't try to swim against it straight back to shore. Swim sideways along the beach until you are out of the funnel, then start swimming back in. If in the flags, wave one hand above your head. If not... good luck..!

• Written Aug 24, 2002

“Live and Love life like there`s no tommorrow”

Have you been to Gold Coast?