"Wartburg Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Things to Do Tip by Weissdorn
Germany Things to Do: 1,240 reviews and 2,067 photos
Passionate and poetic, captured in hundreds and thousand of pictures and words - this is the Wartburg Castle, high above the Thuringia Forest, here above the town of Eisenach. This castle is the everlasting image of knights in shining armour, troubadors, and crusaders, and is the Mecca for the Protestant Church.
In the middle of the 19th century the Grand Duke of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach and the architect Hugo von Ritgen decided to raise the "most German castle of all castles" out of the ruins of rubble it lay in. Shortly after 500 German Student Cadets (Burschen) swore an oath to battle for the political unification of the Nation of Germany here, they started searching through the ruins from the middle ages for a new German identity.
40 years of restauration work - stopped intermittedly due to the lack of funds, political strife or strikes - with the unerring goal to make "the restoration of the Wartburg Castle one of the most wonderful epics in the self identification of the Nation of Germany.", with wonderous expectations that the restoration would be "sweeter than any battle victory".
The shear number of visitors that have visited this place, even during the period of the two Germanys, is probably the vindication that this dream has been realised. The visitors just aren't from Germany, but from the whole world who follow the footsteps of the father of Protestant religion, Martin Luther, and decade long guest and prisoner of the Wartburg Castle, and the pilgrims who do homage to St. Elizabeth, who also lived here. Whatever symbol a visitor expects to find here, he will not be disappointed, because the Wartburg Castle is not only a landmark to Germany, it is essentially the history of Germany in a nutshell.
If you would like to visit this castle, which is a real castle (as opposed to Neuschwanstein), it's open to visitors from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission costs 6 € per person.
Address: Auf der Wartburg, D-99817 Eisenach
Directions: Eisenach lies 70 km ESE of the city of Kassel. It's located in the State of Thuringia, and is on the Border to the State of Hesse.
othercontact: (0049-3691) 203342
Phone: (0049-3691) 2500
More Reviews (71)
- See All I Need A Place to Crash - But Not the...
- See All Oktoberfest in Munich
- See All Beware of Rumanian Begger Children
- See All Who said you can't drink the water?
- See All Fishing in Germany - Getting a License
- See All Computer & Electronic Stores
- See All Getting Around in the Greater Stuttgart...
- Lake Müritz
- Packing for Germany
- See All Camping in Germany
- See All Like Ice in the Sunshine, I'm Melting...
Been to Germany?Share your travels with the world!
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6982 Reviews - 15640 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4322 Reviews - 10033 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1609 Reviews - 4011 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 951 Reviews - 2159 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1466 Reviews - 3484 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1733 Reviews - 3744 Photos
- Leipzig Hotels
- 515 Reviews - 1102 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1105 Photos
- Mainz Hotels
- 323 Reviews - 738 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 932 Reviews - 3138 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 615 Reviews - 1596 Photos
- Hannover Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 2124 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Flensburg Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 59 Photos
- Trier Hotels
- 580 Reviews - 1449 Photos