"Fine Woodcraft" State of Western Australia Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

State of Western Australia Things to Do: 392 reviews and 878 photos

Tick, tock, how much that clock?
by iandsmith

I have been into many arts and crafts places throughout the world. This is the best I've seen!
I know it's a big call but when you have 290 different artisans supplying you and you get to pick the best of their work it puts you a long way in front.
The wood sculptures were superb, the photography outstanding, the paintings all class, the ceramics wonderful and I'm sure the ladies would love to take some of the jewellery away on their person.
I came upon this amazing place all because I wanted a cup of tea!
Yes, attached is a lovely coffee shop and, on the main street in Pemberton there is a blue and white sign advertising such.
The man that runs it is worth the visit alone. Murray Johnson can literally tell you where every piece of wood came from in the building and where all the wooden sculptures originated from.
"This was an old railway sleeper, that came from a tree about 22kms away that had been on the forest floor for about 30 years, this one we rescued from the wood mill just before they were about to turn it into wood chips."
His wife Lillian is a partner but we didn't get to meet her.
The clock shown here was the cheapest in the place. A snip at $6,000AUS but you could spend $14,000AUS on one if you wanted.
34% of his business is to overseas customers.
Since we ended up buying some pictures it turned out to be an expensive, but enjoyable, cup of tea.

Address: Dickinson St, Pemberton
Directions: East of the main street, look for the coffee house sign.

• Written Feb 25, 2003

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to State of Western Australia?