"The City of Trier" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Things to Do Tip by Weissdorn
Germany Things to Do: 1,230 reviews and 2,010 photos
The city of Trier was founded 2000 years ago by the Roman Emperor Augustus. It considered THE oldest city in Germany, and for this reason, it was added to UNESCO's list of World Cultural Heritage Landmarks in 1986.
Lying in the North of the huge Roman Empire, this city developed rather rapidly, because it was a convient crossroads point for Ravena (on Lake Constance) and Gaul in France. Trier had 70,000 inhabitants at the time, and was the biggest city north of the Alps for a whole century. Being an important city, it gained riches and fame, and political clout by the end of the 4th century.
The Romans left some pretty impressive building there, which are still standing today, such as the Porta Nigra, which used to be the gate to the city, and the best kept monument dating back to the Romans in Gemany. But there's also the Imperial Palace Hall, the Basilica, the Baths, the Temples and the Amphitheater.
Despite conquests, wars and destruction, Trier remained a religious center in the Holy Roman Empire for centuries. Churches and abbeys, rich merchant houses and palaces still remind us of how it was back then. The St. Peter Cathedral is Germany's oldest church.
The Roman Empire, the Middle Ages and Modern Times have all left their mark on this wonderful city, and have all seemed to work together to give Trier it's unique character.
This is a city in Germany you can't miss, and it's worth staying a day or two here, in order to see everything.
Directions: Trier is near the Eastern border of Luxembourg
othercontact: Fax: (0049-651) 44759
Phone: (0049-651) 97808-0
More Reviews (71)
- See All I Need A Place to Crash - But Not the...
- See All Oktoberfest in Munich
- See All Beware of Rumanian Begger Children
- See All Who said you can't drink the water?
- See All Fishing in Germany - Getting a License
- See All Computer & Electronic Stores
- See All Getting Around in the Greater Stuttgart...
- Lake Müritz
- Packing for Germany
- See All Camping in Germany
- See All Like Ice in the Sunshine, I'm Melting...
Been to Germany?Share your travels with the world!
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6866 Reviews - 15332 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4309 Reviews - 9910 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 950 Reviews - 2158 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1667 Reviews - 3684 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1607 Reviews - 3989 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1453 Reviews - 3457 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 612 Reviews - 1569 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 883 Reviews - 3005 Photos
- Karlsruhe Hotels
- 895 Reviews - 4115 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1065 Photos
- Koblenz Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Würzburg Hotels
- 353 Reviews - 1189 Photos
- Fussen Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 479 Photos
- Dresden Hotels
- 1205 Reviews - 3542 Photos