"How sweet it is, or maybe not" State of Western Australia Favorite Tip by iandsmith

State of Western Australia General: 43 reviews and 90 photos

Driftwood Estate, on Caves Road.
by iandsmith

Favorite thing: If you like wines and, I have to admit I'm not a huge fan, unlike my eldest son, you may already have heard of Margaret River.
Margaret River is a town about 15kms inland from the ocean and it has given its name to an area where you can find over 80 wineries. A lot of them are closer to Yallingup and other towns but the area is touted as Margaret River.
There are also wineries further south and around Perth but here is where the purists head, especially in November when the two week festival is on. A veritable plethora of Bacchanalian delights.

Fondest memory: The thing I like about them is the wineries themselves. Their setting, their ambience, the stress-free (until you get the bill) type tasting rooms and the way they're set amongst the woods.
I have to also confess that I can actually enjoy drinking the wine from this area, somehow the taste is more to my palate than other places.
Then, always you're never far from the Ocean should you want a total change of pace.
Feel free and don't forget, bring your money with you!

• Updated Sep 14, 2011

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to State of Western Australia?