"Voltage Converter" Voltage Convertor Tip by BlueBerry_7

Voltage Convertor, Amsterdam: 2 reviews and 1 photos


Luggage and bags: Holland runs on 220 volts of electricity (North America uses 110 volts). So you'll need to take with you a small voltage transformer (now available in drug and appliance stores or by mail order) that plugs into the round-holed European electrical outlet and converts the Dutch voltage from 220V down to 110V for any small appliance up to 1,500 watts. Don't try to plug an American appliance directly into a European outlet without a transformer; you may ruin your appliance and possibly even start a fire.

Miscellaneous: However, some American appliances (such as some electric shavers) are engineered to operate on either 110V or 220V, but even with these you'll usually need to buy a plug adapter.

Review Helpfulness: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Written Feb 25, 2003
  • Send to a Friend
  • Add to your Trip Planner
  • Report Abuse


BlueBerry_7 Visits Here Frequently!


“Amsterdam here I come!”

Online Now


Top 5,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 1 2 9 9

Have you been to Amsterdam?

  Share Your Travels