NOLA: "Celebrity Chef" New Orleans Restaurant Tip by acemj

New Orleans Restaurants: 898 reviews and 885 photos

This is the newest of celebrity chef, Emeril Lagasse's three Crescent City restaurants. I was skeptical about going here at first because I assumed it would be the ultimate tourist trap and probably overpriced, but I was pleasantly surprised. Here's an excerpt from my journal: "I'm sitting at a quasi bar near the kitchen and this place is adrenalizing. Young chefs are cranking out the dinners and I can't help but think that some of the tourists are disappointed that Lagasse himself isn't giving each dish the tender loving care it deserves. . . I'm having a pecan-crusted sweet potato fritter with barbecued shrimp. Oh my! It's incredible. Great textures and spice."
This place is more chic that cozy and the wait staff is more professional than warm and friendly, but I appreciated the service. My waitress recommended everything I ate and did a great job. The atmosphere is fast and a bit hectic, so it's not a great place for a romantic dinner, but if you want exciting, delicious food, check it out. For an appetizer, a soda, dessert and a digestivo, I paid $26 without tip.

Favorite Dish: After my pecan-crusted sweet potato and shrimp I had a Frozen Lemon Icebox Mousse for dessert with a nocello (an after dinner drink). All were sublime.

Address: 534 Rue St. Louis
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: French Quarter
othercontact: all major credit cards
Phone: 504-522-NOLA
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 5
Theme: Eclectic/International

• Updated Jul 9, 2003

Comments

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Have you been to New Orleans?