"about Tromso, Norway" Top 5 Page for this destination Arctic Favorite Tip by call_me_rhia

Arctic General: 37 reviews and 41 photos

tromso from the nearby fjell
by call_me_rhia

Favorite thing: People call Tromso in 2 different ways: the "Gate of the Arctic" and the "Paris of the North". While the first definition seemed obvious to me, I did not understand the reason of the second until i got there. No, it doesn't look like Paris at all - no imposing buindings, no fancy boutiques - but hey, so much life! People (not tourists!) crowd the streets day and night, there's plenty of pubs, clubs, discos, performers... everything. I was meant to stop for a night only on my way to the North Cape and I found myself stuck there for ages, eventually missing the Cape and with no regrets. I found so much to see and do, and I met such lovely people, that continuing up north was no longer a priority or something desirable .

Fondest memory: The Polaria exhibition - really good, and then the Arctic Cathedral, the Polar Museum, the buzzing High Street, the Harbour and its own buildings, and the absolutely superb Mack's Brewery and beer!

• Written Nov 20, 2002

“... traveling is not a destination ...”

Have you been to Arctic?