Casa de Pico has Closed & Reopened!: "So Many Items to Choose from!" Old Town San Diego State Historical Park Restaurant Tip by lmkluque

Margaritas of all sizes!
by lmkluque

Casa de Pico is my favorite restaurant in Old Town. There are many other very good places for a meal. What makes it my favorite? The fantastic memories I have of sharing a meal with a friend? Spending the evening laughing with friends? Oh, the stories I could tell. Yes, this restaurant is a fun place to eat and I like the atmostphere here.

Many people judge a restaurant by the long line of people waiting to eat there. If that is any indication, this must be one of the best eateries in all of San Diego!!

Update:

This restaurant closed May 2005. I promise to let you know what replaces this favorite restaurant of mine. Though I am not happy about the proposed changes, I'm keeping an open mind and hopefully will have something wonderful to recommend.

Update:

When Casa De Pico opens its doors again I will add the information here. In the mean time there are other places that you can choose from that seem popular too.

The tip below this is about the restaurant that has replaced Casa De Pico. I will not go there to eat for various reasons, the most important being that it falls short in every way--IMO--and it's not worth the hastle to get there any more.

Having said that, I'm sure that first time visitors will be pleased enough with the place and it is a convenient stop while exploring Old Town San Diego State Historic Park.

I am leaving the Casa de Pico tip here for all those past visitors who loved having a meal here at their last visit and who might want to know what has happened to it.

Favorite Dish: If you are not hungry when you get here, you will be starving by the time you are seated! The wait is long no matter what time or day you are here. One good thing is that there is a very nice and quick-handed tortilla lady who will make and give you tortillas while you wait. Of course it is only good manners to give her something for her work. She will give you butter or chili sauce to add flavor to the snack.

My favorite meals at Casa de Pico are "tacos al pastor," "carnitas" or "chicken fajitas." For Starters, I like the Margaritas!

Update:

Casa de Pico is now located at the Grossmont Center Shopping Mall.

Address: 5500 Grossmont Center Drive, La Mesa
Phone: (619) 463-3267
Website: http://www.casadepico.com/

This is some miles from Old Town but not far from the SD Trolley station at Grossmont. So, if you want to try it out, take a look at my La Mesa page. Look at the Restaurant tip and the Transportation tip titled, ""Grossmont Transit Center."

Address: Fiesta de Reyes
Comparison: about average
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Mexican

• Updated May 2, 2012

More Restaurants in Old Town San Diego State Historical Park (2)

Comments

lmkluque Visits Here Frequently!

lmkluque

“Assume Good Intent”

Have you been to Old Town San Diego State Historical Park?