"United Nations" United Nations Tip by darthmilmo

United Nations, New York City: 88 reviews and 143 photos

The first thing I did when I logged in to VT after my return from the trip was to check and see if they had a separate category for the UN. See, the UN building is technically not on US land. Hence, the UN building is theoretically an independent area in itself (kind of like the Vatican in Rome). So it's really not part of New York City. I'm sure that New York has a clause that in the event that the UN dissolves they would get their land back, but in the mean time it's not theirs. Well, I was disappointed to find I couldn't add another country to the list of travels in VT :(. Oh well, at least I can write a long winded tip on that...hahaha :P.
Anyway, the UN headquarters are located in New York City. There are tours operating daily, even during holidays (I went on Labor Day, a US holiday that is also a holiday celebrated by the United Nations). If you want to see the flags outside the buildings, you have to go during normal business hours between Monday and Friday, excluding holidays. I missed the flags, but did take the tour. We got to see the Security Council, as well as two other forums. Unfortunately, the General Assembly was closed for renovations. The tour in itself is very informative so it's definitely worth the money. Take your student card for there are student discounts :).

Address: The Visitors' Entrance is located on First Avenue.
Directions: Subway: number 4,5,6 or 7 trains to Grand Central Station; walk on 42nd Street to First Avenue.
Phone: 212-963-TOUR (8687)
Website: http://www.un.org/tours/

• Written Oct 26, 2002

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to New York City?