"Take a seat" Turkey Warnings Or Dangers Tip by iandsmith

Turkey Warnings and Dangers: 131 reviews and 56 photos

Ah yes, toilet stories. Fruit for many a sideboard. Never-to-be-forgotten tales of uncomfortable moments involving our most private parts. Guaranteed to spark up many otherwise dull conversations.
So, not having thought about it too much, well, not at all really, I left myself open for an unexpected moment.
Istanbul was fine, the bus stop toilets were fine, although payment was required and, make sure they charge you the correct amount or you may get fleeced.
No, it was in Goreme, involving a seemingly innocuous night at a local restaurant. Nature called, well, more shouted out loud really. I had to go!
The ablutions were pointed out to me and I stepped inside the door...........to be confronted by a hole in the floor, a rusty tin with wire handle and a tap. Nothing else, except my despair.
Whilst thoughtfully engaged relieving my suffering, I concluded that I was going to be more uncomfortable in the future as I imagined filling the tin and doing what needed to be done with the water. Doesn't sound all that bad really, does it? Unfortunately it was snowing outside!

• Updated Oct 13, 2002

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Turkey?