"Landmines" Bosnia and Herzegovina Warnings Or Dangers Tip by tampa_shawn

Don't walk on the grass
by tampa_shawn

There are over one Million landmines in Bosnia so the danger if still very real.

Bosnia, is a country where you really cannot walk on the grass!! In fact it is recommended that you do not walk or drive on any surface that is not paved. You will need to talk on dirt paths on occasion, but when you do please make sure that you only use well traveled paths and do not step off the path, even an inch!

Only about 97% of the landmines are really cleared after the landmine teams leave an area. Landmines are still being found in supposedly safe areas in the center of town in Sarajevo. The suburbs are known danger zones.

A view of Sarajevo today, communist block apartment houses, mortar damage and grass that cannot be walked or played on.

Note added 4/2013 - I just finished reading the hunger game series and their was a part of the book that made me think of Yugoslavia. I thought it said something important and something other than just "never forget"...I have posted it here

"Now we're in that sweet period where everyone agrees that our recent horrors (war, violence) should never be repeated..but collective thinking is usually short-lived. We're fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self-destruction....Although who knows? Maybe this will be it..."

"the time it stick. Maybe we are witnessing the evolution of the human race. Think about that"

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3) page 379 of 390 (my kindle pages)

• Updated Apr 24, 2013

More Warnings and Dangers in Bosnia and Herzegovina (1)

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness”

Have you been to Bosnia and Herzegovina?