"You must visit Fort Morgan! ..." Top 5 Page for this destination Gulf Shores Favorite Tip by kel_e

Gulf Shores Favorites: 3 reviews and 3 photos

Favorite thing: You must visit Fort Morgan! It is full of history and very interesting. If you get out to the Fort early in the morning (5 am) and walk along the beach, you can collect shells that were washed up by the high tide. You can also see the dolphins jumping in the ocean during the magnificent sunrise.
Take time to stop at all the pubs and resturants along the beach! They all have character of their own, and the people are very welcoming and fun. If you get to know the bartenders during your stay... they don't hesitate to give you cheap or free drinks to get your night going!
Most of all... make a run out to the infamous Flora-Bama!! It is an awesome bar right on the Florida/Alabama border. They have wonderful music and a great atmosphere.

Fondest memory: I think the best memory is going down to AL with 5 other families every year. We all hooked up CB's in our cars and made the long haul to AL from WI (about 22 hour drive). Then we would meet up with a bunch of other families and friends from my hometown that would be down there. (for some reason, our whole town knew Gulf Shores was a hot spot for vacation)
There were always kids my age, and when we got old enough to venture downtown and down the beach on our own... we met lots more people and made new friends.
This last time I made it down (in 2000), I finally was old enough to experience the bar scene on my own and we had a blast!!!!!!
Another funny memory of mine is from when we were about 17 years old. We were walking downtown one night to go out to eat (me and a bunch of friends my age). There was a Best Western along the road that had a lighted board for messages. The board said 'Indoor heated pool'. We, for some reason, felt the need to be rebellious and stole an 'L' from the board so it said 'Indoor heated Poo'. Everyday we walked by, and they had the L replaced with another L... so we would keep stealing it every day until we left. By the time we left, all of us had an L to take home as a souvenier. Oh, we thought we were sooooo cool back then! :)
But, I really can't wait to go again!

• Written Oct 5, 2002

Comments

kel_e

“Don't forget where you came from... or your camera.”

Have you been to Gulf Shores?