"Wall DrugI can't judge Wall..." Wall Off The Beaten Path Tip by WFTR

Wall Off The Beaten Path: 1 reviews and 0 photos

Wall Drug
I can't judge Wall Drug harshly enough to call it a tourist trap, and I don't want to elevate it to the status of 'must see.' It's hardly 'Off the Beaten Path' because it has put Wall, South Dakota on the map, but I think this category is best for it.
Wall Drug may be a drugstore in some sense of the word, but mostly it is a huge souvenir shop. I've walked through the official Wall Drug once, and I found bins upon bins of every kind of souvenir stuff that one can imagine. Many people are turned off by the whole Wall Drug empire. Wall Drug has rented billboards along I-90 for hundreds of miles on each side of Wall. The average tourist driving to South Dakota will start seeing these signs a day or two before arriving. If one is inclined to be stuffy about these things, Wall Drug is a tourist trap specializing in the worst kind of crass commercialism. I just think it's kinda funny. When I was there, I bought a Wall Drug Frisbee and sun shade for my truck.
There are other little shops along the 'main drag' in Wall although I don't believe all of them are owned by Wall Drug. I bought some gifts for my family in a western shop across the street from Wall Drug. I'm sure that these things are slightly overpriced, but they aren't too bad. I guess the short version is that I think Wall is kinda cute in its own way.

• Written Oct 4, 2002

“Liberty isn`t for cowards”

Have you been to Wall?