"A few years ago my father..." Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bear Lake Favorite Tip by TrueBeliever

Big Bear Lake General: 5 reviews and 6 photos

Favorite thing: A few years ago my father bought me a plane ride above Big Bear as a birthday present. I was through a small tous service on a little runway east of the lake. We left in the morning when there were just a few puffy cummulus clouds in the sky and the sun was just peaking above the mountains. Before my father and I got in the small four person aircraft, we were instructed briefly on the safety procedures of flying--of course, I've forgotten all of them now...:)

Fondest memory: Okay, you fellas ready?' Said the pilot as we buckled ourselves in. 'Oh ya,' I said. 'Uh, I guess so,' said my father. The pilot, after communicating something to the 'flight tower,' started the engines. The propellor became a whir and soon we were shooting down the runway and were lifted off the ground, flying over the treetops. The first thing I saw were all the people, endless throngs of people using their weekend to enjoy the things they had worked hard all week to appreciate--I saw them get smaller and smaller until they looked like ants scurrying around on the ground below...<BR>
The lake glistened to the right of us as we flew over a small little league game, a resort hotel, and, of course--McDonald's. The the pilot swerved towards the lake. As we flew over the sun observatory and people on dozens of boats partying and fishing, the pilot said to me, 'You wanna take the wheel awhile?' I looked a little confused, 'Um, won't we die?' He laughed, 'Nah, all ya gotta do is make sure you keep the wings level with the horizon.' I said, 'It's that easy huh?' I took the wheel...<BR>
WHAM!! The whole plane shook. 'What was that?!?' My dad started sweating. The pilot looked back at him and said 'Just a little turbulence, nothin' to worry about.' WHAM! WHAM! Heavy wind suddenly pounded the plane. 'Geez!' The pilot reached for the wheel, which I handed him gladly. After another quarter of an hour of beautiful sights from a cloud's perspective, the pilot flew the plane back to the airport and the safety of the ground. Upon landing, my father threw himself on the ground and kissed sweet mother earth, glad to be alive--well, something like that. ;o)

• Written Oct 4, 2002

Comments

TrueBeliever

“Spiral out...keep going...spiral out...keep going...just to be human”

Have you been to Big Bear Lake?