"The McBride Glacier." Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Things to Do Tip by richiecdisc

For me this was the highlight of the trip. It was supposed to be tricky to get to this tidewater masterpiece as the inlet was narrow and at low tide not navigable. The idea was to get there as the tide was on its way up, thus taking advantage of the rush of water going into the inlet. You would also maximize your time to explore this way. You could then leave as the tide was going down and out of the inlet. Sounded easy enough to me but Ina wanted no part of it. Of course, as we got close to the entrance, and it was apparent our timing was perfect, I cajoled her into at least taking a peak. Once we got started I had no intention of turning back and paddled gleefully toward the wall of blue. Park rangers had said to keep a safe distance from the glacier as the routinely calving walls of ice could capsize your kayak in one swelling motion. I didn?t want to get that close but I felt we were miles from it when Ina refused to go any farther. I argued we had to go at least to the rocky beach not too much in the distance and she reluctantly relented. Once on shore, she reveled in our accomplishment and smiled from ear to ear. It was an amazing spot and I wanted to camp there badly but she felt we should get out while the tide was going out. I could see three kayaks far in the distance, seemingly right in front of the huge blue wall that dwarfed them in comparison. I wanted to be there but it did seem closer than the quarter mile suggested as the safe limit of approach. Still, I knew we were not anywhere near that close and wanted to paddle further for a better view of the obvious show of thunder as the ice walls fell dramatically to the sea. Ina would have no part in it, so happy enough; we made our way out of the inlet that I never even imagined we would go into. Ironically, three days later, we would meet up with the three guys that were in the kayaks that seemed so close to the glacier. They explained that they were in fact the prescribed quarter mile from the calving wonder and that it was the most amazing thing they had ever seen, their tiny vessels swaying in the rocky water. I tried not to say I told you so, not sure if I managed it. You?d have to ask Ina.

• Written Oct 4, 2002

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve?