"Site of the First Shot " Gonzales Off The Beaten Path Tip by keeweechic
Gonzales Off The Beaten Path: 3 reviews and 3 photos
This was the site of the First Shot of the Texas Revolution.
The 'Come & Take It' cannon fired the first shot on October 2nd, 1835 in Gonzales for Texas' freedom. In 1831 the cannon was loaned by the Mexican Government to the people of Gonzales for their protection against the Tonkawa Indians. In September of 1835, Santa Anna ordered Col. Ugartechea, who was the Commandant at Bejar (San Antonio) to return the cannon to the Casas Reales (Mexican Armory at Bejar) and Lt. Francisco Castaneda along with150 Dragoons was sent to pick up the cannon. The request was declined. For many days the Mexican tried to cross the river but were held back by Gonzaleans who sat on the east bank of the Guadalupe River. Then reinforcements arrived and the canon was dug up by the Gonzaleans from where they had hidden it in a peach orchard and was mounted on the axle of a cotton wagon. Two local ladies took a wedding dress and stitched it into a white flag which displayed a black star, a cannon, and the words 'COME AND TAKE IT'. On the night of October 1, 1835, 160 Texans and reinforcements, crossed the Guadalupe River in thick fog about 6 miles north west of Gonzales, and came face to face with the Mexican forces. It was here that the cannon fired - a charge of made up of pieces of scraps of metal and chains which make the Mexicans disperse and withdraw to San Antonio. As a result of the blast, one Mexican died and ultimately, this was the start of the Texas Revolution.
Location : 7 miles southwest of Gonzales on Hwy 97.