"Chateau de Versailles." Versailles - Daytrip Tip by wcbert

Versailles - Daytrip, Paris: 208 reviews and 393 photos

Sept 2002 - I thought the interior of the chateau was nothing much to look at. Probably I have visited to many palaces of Kings and Queens in my lifetime. I thought the interior was drab. To me at least, the Hall Of Mirrors looks better in photos than in real life. It would help if they cleaned those mirrors in that room. To me the highlight visiting the Versailles?s rooms was one large room of paintings that were filled with famous French battles, which they won. One painting was of the
American revolutionary war, the Battle of Yorktown. It showed George Washington, some French General, his names escapes me with the British surrendering. Bottom line I was not excited about the interior rooms of Versailles. Now the reason why should you still visit Versailles. They outside gardens are huge and magnificent. I went there on Friday and was informed by "very helpful" information desk that on Saturday they would have the fountains working. So I decided to see the gardens anyway and was impressed by the beauty of it. Saturday morning I did go back to Versailles. It was a beautiful day, sunny weather and it was not cold at all. The fountains did not come on until 11:00 AM, so I had two hours to kill. So I walk around the gardens some more, like I said the place is huge and took some more photos. You know the fountains are about to come on because they start playing some classical music. When the fountains come on, the place is unbelievable. This was not the same garden I visited on Friday. It was not even the same garden a second ago with the fountains where off. When the fountains are working the whole atmosphere of Versailles's garden changes. You even see it the tourist's faces. They sit and gaze at the fountains. So if you only have once chance to go to Versailles, please go when the fountains are working. You will have some special memories if you do, I certainly do.

Address: Out skirts of Paris
Directions: Take the RER-C train to Versailles-rive-gauche, the last stop. Exit the train station, cross the street, make a right turn, walk up the block. Then a left turn, walk one block there is the entrance.
Phone: +33 1 30 83 78 00
Website: http://www.chateauversailles.fr

• Written Feb 25, 2003

“Is Your Tip In The Bill?”

Ranked Member