"ORVAL trappist !stories of fishes and saints" Belgium Tourist Trap Tip by irisbe

Belgium Tourist Traps: 80 reviews and 89 photos

Orval (one of my favorites!
by irisbe

Orval (one of my favorites!
    by irisbe
      Orval, t;he glass, the legend
    by irisbe

Belgium beer is so good you might want to drink more then you can take!

This is absolutely one of my favorites! Orval trappist beer. It has a very strong stuborn taste and that is what makes it different from any others. Worth trying!

I have visited the monastery, the ruins and the brewery in 2003. You can have a look at my Orval page.

ORVAL
Abbaye Notre-Dame d'Orval
B-6823 VILLERS-DEVANT-ORVAL
Tel. : +32 061/31.12.61
Fax : +32 061/31.29.27
E-mail : brasserie@orval.be
Website : www.orval.be

No need to go into detail, the website of this monasterian brewery is so divert and detailed that you will find all useful information there.

Unique Suggestions: Drink slowly, enjoy the taste....
and never leave a glass empty nor full!

That is what my late uncle said when he died with a smile on his face and his glass in his hands!
(woww this guy has died a dozen times by now!) I will have to look for another story soon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ah well I never believed the story of the frog that got kissed and turned into a prince... but I do believe the story of the fish that brought back the ring that fell into the well, the story of Orval...
The monastery was born of an act of gratitude: Mathilda was a widow and her wedding ring had accidentally fallen into the fountain (source). She prayed to the Lord to have it returned and at once a trout rose to the surface with the precious ring in its mouth. Mathilda was so happy and exclaimed : 'Truly this place is a Val d'Or'! " Out of gratitude, she decided to establish a monastery on the site.
ok ... if you don't believe that story `-)
Here is the backside of the Orval glass to show you the fish and the ring...

although... to me it rather looks like a fish with a huge piercing!!!

Fun Alternatives: 1.Find out if this story is true and try doing this by throwing your jewelery piece into the water.
2. Visit my uncles graves and if you are lucky, you might hear him sing `-)

• Updated Sep 14, 2005

Comments

irisbe Was Born Here!

irisbe

“Always be open to new experiences”

Have you been to Belgium?