"Sacre-Coeur" Basilique du Sacre Coeur de Monmartre Tip by cutestmidget

<font color=990099>This is a beautiful cathedral. My first impressions were at night - the church is lit up beautifull in the night sky, and you can catch elusive glimpses of it as you climb the tribillion stairs to get up there (of course you can take the escalator, but that costs money! lol!).

The view of Paris from this perspective, especially at night, is simply stunning. Thankfully the church itself has a policy of no cameras or videos, and they are very strict - helping maintain the spiritual feel.

I can't compare it in any way to the other spectacular church of Notre Dame - they are different in almost every way.

The experience for me was dampened by the amount of litter - it was very grotty and probably unfortunately the fault of tourists who just don't care. I was also frustrated and uncomfortable with the amount of people trying to do tricks for money, who were extremely insistent and agressive, and I expect that there is a lot of theft here. I left this attraction feeling disappointed and gripping my handbag tightly. It is better during the day for this. Just use common sense.

Address: 35 Rue du Chevalier de la Barre, 75018 Paris
Directions: Near Rue du Cardinal Guibert.
Phone: +33 1 53 41 89 00
Website: http://www.sacre-coeur-montmartre.com/english/

• Written Sep 12, 2002

“happiness appears in unexpected places...”

Have you been to Paris?