VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

the little souk: "berber carpets at low prices" Tozeur Shopping Tip by call_me_rhia

Tozeur Shopping: 5 reviews and 4 photos

a carpet shop
by call_me_rhia

A little souk - very little - but charming in any case. The main merchandise seemed to be the carpets... not as precious or refined as the famous ones of Kairouan - but Berber carpets - woven in thick wool - with traditional geometric designs. The choice - although limited - offered something for every taste: natural coloured carpets, or more cheerfully coloured ones.

What to buy: berber carpets

What to pay: It depends on your bargaining skills. Just as a reference I ended up buying a cream and green- handmade carpet - for a really cheap price, or so it seemed to me.
I bargained like crazy - thought I had made an excellent deal (30$) - but the salesperson must have thought differently since he would not let me leave and kept giving me things for free: handpainted plates, a stuffed camel, plenty of postcards.

Directions: opposite the Dar Cheriat Museum
Theme: Local Craft

• Updated Sep 12, 2002

More Shopping in Tozeur (1)

Comments

call_me_rhia

“... traveling is not a destination ...”

Have you been to Tozeur?