"GREETINGS" Thai Language Tip by LysDor
Thai Language, Bangkok: 24 reviews and 21 photos
When you meet Thai people don't be surprised if they 'WAI' to you! It's a traditional greeting manner done by putting two palm together at about the chest and bow the head with it. In addition, they say 'sawaddee krub' if you're a male and 'sawaddee ka' if you're a female. Both words mean 'hello'.
DOs AND DON'Ts
- Be polite and respectful toward older people.
- Sample the local food and try out some of Thailand's exotic fruits. But not the food on the street since the food may be contaminated and will give you a sickness.
- Try and learn a little about local customs and culture.
- Take off your shoes when entering a Thai home.
- When visiting a temple or palace, dress propely
- Don't pat people on the head since Thai people regard the head as the highest, the holiest part in the body.
- Don't point your feet to another people since Thai people regard the feet as the lowest part in the body.
- Be patient with Thai people who do not speak English.
- Don't mock Thai customs and habits even though they may seem strange to you.
- Don't attempt to touch monks, especially if you are a female.
Thai is the national language as well as the most spoken language of Thailand. It is wise to learn to speak a few Thai words and phrases, if you want to survive in Bangkok.
More Reviews (15)
LysDor's Related Pages
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels