"Not just basketball but a theatre too....." Midtown Tip by bugalugs

Midtown, New York City: 27 reviews and 56 photos

It was quite by chance that we visited Madison Square Garden. But we were certainly glad we did. It wasnt actually very far from our hotel, in fact about 5 minutes walk, it was our last day, and our luggage was packed and in reception but we had about 3 hours before we left for the airport. We strolled up the street, walked in and there was a tour almost ready to go. It was a great experience, going inside this huge arena, watching all the crew setting up equipment, and the man telling us that this whole floor which is actually 5 floors up becomes an ice rink for Ice Hockey! It is also home to the New York Nicks, the basketball team. We went in the locker rooms, and around the arena there are private boxes which cost $1.1/2 million dollars for 3 years!!! We sat in one of these boxes, with their own bar, it was great. The only sad thing was we forgot our camera (it was packed in our luggage). There is also a huge theatre holding 6,000 people. Sesame Street live had not long finishes when we were shown round.
I think it was well worth going on this tour it was so interesting. It last about an hour and cost $15. Look out for a coupon though in the New York's free brochure that you can pick up in hotel foyers. I only found the coupon when I was looking through it sitting on the plane coming home!!! There is also a restaurant and the tour ticket entitles you to a certain discount if you eat there. But I think it was quite expensive.

Address: 7th Avenue/32nd Street
Phone: +(1) 212-768-4242
Website: http://www.bryantpark.org

• Written Sep 12, 2002

“they say travel broadens the mind it said nothing about my hips!”

Have you been to New York City?