"My first visit to Wellington " Wellington Favorite Tip by keeweechic

Wellington Favorites: 36 reviews and 38 photos

Favorite thing: My first visit to Wellington was on a school trip when I was about 7. We travelled overnight on a sleeper train, toured the important buildings in Wellington the next day and made our return the next night. My first big adventure away from home. All I mainly remember is falling out of the top bunk on the train and being given a meat pie which made me feel ill afterwards. I was to return to Wellington quite a few times over the years but this time by car or by plane.

Fondest memory: Not so much fondest as memorable. There were two especially memorable trips. One involved the motel in which we were staying. One of the legs fell off the corner of the bed resulting in a lopsided thud in the middle of the night. The knob fell of the t.v. and we experienced further earth tremors that we had experienced in Taupo on the way down. The other was in 1986, January 28th, watching t.v. early that morning in my room in the James Cook Hotel and seeing that the space shuttle Challenger had exploded 73 secs after launch. I just sat there in disbelief at what I was seeing. I shall never forget that.

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

• Updated Aug 4, 2003

Comments

keeweechic

“Travel is the greatest eye opener you will ever get.”

Have you been to Wellington?