"See The Village Greens in..." Setauket Favorite Tip by BeverlyTyler
Setauket General: 4 reviews and 4 photos
Favorite thing: See The Village Greens in Setauket and Stony Brook, Long Island, New York (see my Stony Brook page) - 60 miles east of New York City - here is an area that is green and beautiful, peaceful, historic and interesting. In Setauket, the Village Green is surrounded by the 1729 Caroline Church of Brookhaven (Episcopal), the 1811 Setauket Presbyterian Church (third church building on the site - first in 1672), and the 1892 Queen Anne Style Emma S. Clark Memorial Library. In addition there are the two cemeteries with stones dating back to before the American Revolutionary War. Buried here is Abraham Woodhull one of the spies during the War. The Village green is still very much like it was when the area was first settled in 1655. The Native Americans, called Setalcotts, meaning 'Land at the mouth of the creek,' inhabited Setauket when the first English colonists arrived. These members of the Algonquian family of Indians have been here for over 8,000 years.
On the north side of the green is the Three Village Garden Club Sanctuary with many wonderful paths through the Sanctuary and Arboritum. A short walk to the west (one-quarter mile) brings you to the Setauket Mill Pond and the Frank Melville Memorial Park, with its Greek Revival post office and reconstructed grist mill. There are over 300 native plants in this park around the lower mill pond.
Fondest memory: The Village Green in Stony Brook is also surrounded by history. The area has many historic homes dating to the 1800s and the Village Green is surrounded by a unified colonial-style shopping center of interesting shops which was designed and built by Ward Melville in the 1940s. This attractive area of shops and homes is a delightful find for local tourists. Across from the Village green is the Three Village Inn, an award winning restaurant and inn that dates to the 18th century. Just south of the green is an operating grist mill that was built in 1754. One-half mile to the south, a short walk along the Stony Brook and the Stony Brook Mill Pond, is the Museums at Stony Brook, including a history
useum, carriage museum and art museum as well as many historic buildings such as the Samuel West blacksmith shop and the Nassakeag one-room school house. PHOTO - WILLIAM SIDNEY MOUNT AT HIS GRAVE SITE - SPIRITS OF THE THREE VILLAGES CEMETERY TOUR - SETAUKET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH GRAVEYARD - SETAUKET VILLAGE GREEN - TAKES PLACE IN OCTOBER EACH YEAR