"Let's spend some time now and..." Lucerne Local Custom Tip by Krystynn

Lucerne Local Customs: 23 reviews and 38 photos

Let's spend some time now and talk about TIPPING. <i>Hey wait</i>... don't run away! It's not that bad. Really.

As a general guideline, I would recommend the following for you to adhere (<i>I DO want you to leave a LASTING impression in the minds and hearts of the Swiss people, ya see</i>):

(1) When you're at a restaurant, try and leave SOME tip although service charge is already included in the bill.

(2) A one - two franc per bag tip is appropriate for the bellman, as well as each added service you request of a staff person. And remember, the Concierge staff should be tipped depending on the difficulty of the service. I'm sure the next time when you come back to Lucerne, they can still remember you and will address you BY NAME. Now, wouldn't that be so cool?

(3) DON'T FORGET to tip the chambermaids at your hotel! These poor folks are hardly appreciated for a job well done so it would be a great incentive to them. Whenever you do so, you'd find that they'll take EXTRA special care in cleaning up your room. I promise. I usually leave a few Swiss francs per day; if I'm staying at a resort (like in Club Med for example), I'd leave the tip with the Manager at the end of my stay.

• Written Sep 12, 2002

“There is beauty everywhere. Just put your heart into your eyes”

Have you been to Lucerne?