"Devil's Tower National Monument" Top 5 Page for this destination Wyoming Things to Do Tip by richiecdisc

Wyoming Things to Do: 159 reviews and 314 photos

Devil's Tower from my 1994 trip
by richiecdisc

Devil's Tower National Monument was established in 1906 to protect the monolith aptly called Devil's Tower. This striking sheer rock formation rises dramatically nearly 1300 feet from its surrounding plateau and sits at over 5000 feet above sea level. With the formation being made of dark red sandstone, it would be easy to construe that its name comes from the red hue it emanates, especially at sunset but it was a more typical bastardization of its Indian name: Bad God's Tower. This stems back to its 1875 "discovery" by the white man though it was obviously a place of great significance to Native Americans for hundreds of years prior.

The park is located in the remote northeast corner of Wyoming and more easily reached by those already visiting Badlands National Park and Mount Rushmore in South Dakota. There are 8 miles of hiking trails in the park, the most popular of which is the paved 1.3 mile path around the base of the Devil's Tower. About 1% of all visitors climb the sheer rock and it is a technical climb.

It costs $10 for a carload of people to enter the National Monument or $5 for individuals. The America the Beautiful Pass gets you into all National Parks and Monuments for up a year for $80 per carload so well worth it if you are visiting other parks in the area.

I did a quick stop here on my 1994 trip around the US National Parks and at the time, unbeknownst to me, National Monuments were not included on the National Parks pass of the day. I think we paid $5 to get in and it was the last Monument we went to.

Ironically, on our most recent trip around the western US National Park system in 2008, we did not make it to Devil's Tower despite my wife having not been. It was just a bit too far out of the way time-wise and with gas going for about $4.50 a gallon that summer!

Directions: Devil's Tower National Monument is in the remote northeast corner of WY, about 450 miles or 11 hours from Grand Teton National Park.

• Updated Dec 17, 2009

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Wyoming?