Walnut Brewery: "glad I went back" Colorado Restaurant Tip by richiecdisc

Colorado Restaurants: 70 reviews and 50 photos

pork loin at Walnut Brewery in Boulder
by richiecdisc

The Walnut Brewery was not on the agenda of my return visit to Boulder in 2008. Though it must have been good enough in 1994 to prod me into buying one of their t-shirts, it did not look overly promising when I check out their website prior to returning. It looked to have gone a bit upscale and corporate and with only one night in town, I figured Mountain Sun would do the trick. While walking around town after having dinner at Mountain Sun, we just happened to walk right by the Walnut Brewery and my wife nicely agreed to going in for just one beer. It was a very nice place but as I had envisioned, a bit corporate and upscale. We sat at the bar since we were not intending on eating.

Favorite Dish: Once we saw the menu, we realized were not exactly stuffed from our burgers at Mountain Sun so decided to split the special of the day: pork loin over mashed potatoes with green beans. Though pricier than Mountain Sun, it was heavenly and we probably could have eaten a whole one each despite having already eaten. Hiking and camping in freezing temperatures burns a lot of calories I guess!

The beers were surprising good. 1) Oktoberfest-Rich malty fest beer w/ some spicy notes. Not too sweet and semi-dry finish. 2) Devil's Thumb-Black w/ thin tan head. Roasty bitterness w/ some chocolate notes. 3) 1123 IPA-cask-Light golden w/ thin creamy head and soft mouthfeel. Dry and slightly bitter. Easy drinking session beer.

We paid $28 for three pints, the one meal and tip.

Address: 1123 Walnut St., Boulder, CO.
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Right in downtown Boulder.
Rating: 5

• Updated Dec 24, 2009

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Colorado?